The luxury market in China is roaring again
As we approach the halfway point in 2023, it’s clear that the luxury goods market in China and Asia is thriving. This growth is fuelled by the opening of borders post-COVID and the region’s increasing affluence. Today, China alone accounts for over one-third of global luxury sales.
As consumers in the region spend more on retail, beauty, food, lifestyle, and luxury items than ever before, BDA sees opportunities for foreign investors and companies to reach an eager and widespread Asian market.
In our latest insights report, we discuss China’s economy and explore opportunities in other Asian markets. We also identify the subsectors in the consumer and retail space which we anticipate will shine.
The key takeaways in this report are:
- Asia’s luxury market continues to gain momentum, mainly driven by China
- In China, retail sales in March 2023 alone jumped 10.6% YOY, a speed unseen in two years
- The share price of some luxury companies have risen 10%-20% this year
- A rebound in the Chinese economy, the millennial generation, and changing consumer preferences support the trend
- Overall, Asian consumers are spending more on retail, beauty, food, lifestyle, and luxury items than ever before
- This increase in demand opens the door to opportunities for foreign investors and companies
- BDA has deep industry knowledge and extensive experience in advising clients on transactions in beauty & personal care, lifestyle & entertainment, mother & baby care, apparel & accessories, and the food and beverage industries
About BDA Partners
BDA Partners is the global investment banking advisor for Asia. We are a premium provider of Asia-related advice to sophisticated clients globally, with over 25 years’ experience advising on cross-border M&A, capital raising, and financial restructuring. We provide global reach with our teams in New York and London, and true regional depth through our seven Asian offices in Mumbai, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, and Tokyo. BDA has deep expertise in the Chemicals, Consumer & Retail, Health, Industrials, Services and Technology sectors. We work relentlessly to earn our clients’ trust by delivering insightful advice and outstanding outcomes.
BDA Partners has strategic partnerships with William Blair, a premier global investment banking business, and with DBJ (Development Bank of Japan), a Japanese Government-owned bank with US$150bn of assets. bdapartners.com
M&A trends and outlook for 2024
Jonathan Aiken, Partner and Head of London, discussed how a challenging...
Cooling-as-a-Service: Decarbonisation by Servitisation
One of the most promising shifts for decarbonisation is […]
The connection between ESG and value creation
Ruari Sinclair, Director, BDA Partners, shares his insi […]
Huong Trinh on VIR: M&A still in vogue despite economic headwinds
Huong Trinh, Partner and Head of Ho Chi Minh City at BD […]