10 May 2023
The luxury market in China is roaring again
As we approach the halfway point in 2023, it’s clear that the luxury goods market in China and Asia is thriving. This growth is fuelled by the opening of borders post-COVID and the region’s increasing affluence. Today, China alone accounts for over one-third of global luxury sales.
As consumers in the region spend more on retail, beauty, food, lifestyle, and luxury items than ever before, BDA sees opportunities for foreign investors and companies to reach an eager and widespread Asian market.
In our latest insights report, we discuss China’s economy and explore opportunities in other Asian markets. We also identify the subsectors in the consumer and retail space which we anticipate will shine.
The key takeaways in this report are:
- Asia’s luxury market continues to gain momentum, mainly driven by China
- In China, retail sales in March 2023 alone jumped 10.6% YOY, a speed unseen in two years
- The share price of some luxury companies have risen 10%-20% this year
- A rebound in the Chinese economy, the millennial generation, and changing consumer preferences support the trend
- Overall, Asian consumers are spending more on retail, beauty, food, lifestyle, and luxury items than ever before
- This increase in demand opens the door to opportunities for foreign investors and companies
- BDA has deep industry knowledge and extensive experience in advising clients on transactions in beauty & personal care, lifestyle & entertainment, mother & baby care, apparel & accessories, and the food and beverage industries
About BDA Partners
BDA Partners is the global investment banking advisor for Asia. We are a premium provider of Asia-related advice to sophisticated clients globally, with over 25 years’ experience advising on cross-border M&A, capital raising, and financial restructuring. We provide global reach with our teams in New York and London, and true regional depth through our seven Asian offices in Mumbai, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, and Tokyo. BDA has deep expertise in the Chemicals, Consumer & Retail, Health, Industrials, Services and Technology sectors. We work relentlessly to earn our clients’ trust by delivering insightful advice and outstanding outcomes.
BDA Partners has strategic partnerships with William Blair, a premier global investment banking business, and with DBJ (Development Bank of Japan), a Japanese Government-owned bank with US$150bn of assets. bdapartners.com
4 July 2023
Turning on the tap for water investment
BDA Partners has significant experience across the water M&A spectrum...
16 June 2023
Market drivers and pitfalls in non-core disposals
In recent years, many companies have re-evaluated the potential of their...
15 June 2023
Where does Chinese money go?
Anthony Siu, Partner and Co-Head of China at BDA Partners, was interviewed...
22 May 2023
Breaking down barriers: The rise of private equity in Vietnam
The private equity (PE) landscape in Vietnam is becoming increasingly attractive...