BDA advises Duy Tan Plastics on sale to SCG Packaging

divested 70% stake to


BDA Partners is pleased to announce that its clients, the shareholders of Duy Tan Plastics Manufacturing Corp (“Duy Tan”), have agreed to sell a 70% stake to SCG Packaging Public Company Ltd (“SCGP”), a subsidiary of Siam Cement. The remaining 30% in Duy Tan will be held by its existing owners, who will continue to support and manage the company, together with management from SCGP.

BDA Partners was the exclusive financial advisor to Duy Tan on the transaction.

Duy Tan is Vietnam’s leading producer of rigid plastic packaging products, generating over US$200m revenues in 2020. It is a leading supplier to multinational companies and local brand owners of consumer and FMCG products. It also manufactures household plastic products, such as food containers, which are sold under the “Duy Tan” brand through more than 16,000 retail outlets, wholesalers, and supermarkets in Vietnam. The majority of Duy Tan’s products are sold in Vietnam, with 20% exported to the US and other markets.

SCGP is SE Asia’s largest fully integrated packaging solutions provider. The investment in Duy Tan is an expansion of SCGP’s rigid plastic packaging business, so it can now provide its FMCG customers and consumers in Vietnam, with a full range of packing products, both polymer and paper-based.

Simon Kavanagh, Partner & Head of Industrials, BDA Partners, said, “Vietnam is one of the most active M&A markets in Asia. Its favourable demographics, manufacturing and supply chain infrastructure, and economic and political stability, make it particularly attractive to investors. Given the government’s successful control of the COVID pandemic, we expect 2021 to be a record year for investment in Vietnam, and for Industrials M&A in particular.”

Huong Trinh, Managing Director, BDA Partners, said, “We’re proud to have advised on this transaction and look forward to Duy Tan’s next stage of growth. This is our fourth M&A transaction in Vietnam in the last 12 months, demonstrating BDA’s expertise in cross-border execution and our commitment to assist local business owners in finding optimal M&A solutions.”

About Duy Tan Plastics

Duy Tan provides rigid plastic packaging products to corporates in Vietnam and internationally. The company was founded in 1987 and is headquartered in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. www.duytan.com

About SCG Packaging

SCGP is the customer-oriented comprehensive packaging solutions provider in ASEAN, offering fiber-based packaging, performance & polymer packaging and other diversified solutions with 43 facilities across Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand. SCGP is a subsidiary of The Siam Cement Public Company Limited. www.scgpackaging.com

About BDA

BDA Partners is the global investment banking advisor for Asia. We are a premium provider of Asia-related advice to sophisticated clients globally, with 25 years’ experience advising on cross-border M&A, capital raising, and financial restructuring. We provide global reach with our teams in New York and London, and true regional depth through our seven Asian offices in Mumbai, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo. BDA has deep expertise in the Chemicals, Consumer & Retail, Health, Industrials, Services and Technology sectors. We work relentlessly to earn our clients’ trust by delivering insightful advice and outstanding outcomes. BDA Partners has strategic partnerships with William Blair, a premier global investment banking business, and with DBJ (Development Bank of Japan), a Japanese government-owned bank with US$150bn of assets.

US securities transactions are performed by BDA Partners’ affiliate, BDA Advisors Inc., a broker-dealer registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). BDA Advisors Inc. is a member of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and SIPC. In the UK, BDA Partners is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). In Hong Kong, BDA Partners (HK) Ltd. is licensed and regulated by the Securities & Futures Commission (SFC) to conduct Type 1 and Type 4 regulated activities to professional investors. www.bdapartners.com