12 October 2020
Briefings: M&A trends in China and Asia
Euan Rellie, Co-Founder and Senior Managing Director of BDA, in New York, recently joined a webinar International Business Briefing: What is the Future of the China Market, hosted by the US-China Business Council and Faegre Drinker.
Euan shared insights on M&A trends in China and Asia:
- China M&A Overview
- In 2019, China-related M&A transactions slumped significantly, reaching the lowest transaction value since 2013
- Major drivers were: Drop in outbound M&A (dropped 37% in value) and Drop in Private equity deals (dropped 22%)
- Outbound deals have been discouraged by increased scrutiny of CFIUS review in the US; national security review in Europe; Beijing’s controls on outbound capital flows
- Inbound transactions reached US$20bn in 2019, representing a 5.6% growth YoY
- China as a market for US companies: Large inbound acquisitions in China have always been rare; acquisitions by US companies have mostly been small/medium sized
- Impact of the trade war: Punitive actions against China will continue. Even if Trump loses in November, investors don’t expect a significant change in the US approach to China. The tone and tactics will change
- Developments during the pandemic: China becomes a refuge for US companies after overcoming COVID-19. China’s economy is slowly recovering, growing by 3.2% in Q2 2020 as retail and luxury sales experience a strong rebound. The recovery is unbalanced, which has widened the wealth gap
- Hong Kong isn’t over for foreign investors, despite the National Security Law: Hong Kong will remain the hub for inbound and outbound mainland investments
- China M&A going forward:
- In the short term, Chinese investors will be focused on domestic consolidation and less active in outbound M&A. Growth in inbound deals is expected, but a red-hot IPO market and high valuations in China could prevent this from growing fast
- In the medium/long term, we expect frequent sales of family-owned businesses. As China faces rising tension with the US, the PRC Government work to ease regulations on inbound M&A
If you want a copy of the slides, or would like to discuss any of these topics, please contact us.
29 September 2020
Vietnam M&A market set for growth despite COVID-19
We spoke to Huong Trinh, Managing Director and Head of the BDA Partners...
14 September 2020
Shifting sands: changes in trade and investment in an uncertain world
Unparalleled economic disruption, a resurgence in COVID-19 cases and heightened...
22 August 2020
China is cracking down, but Hong Kong’s economy is too precious to kill
Originally published as an op-ed in the Barron’s In the 1990s, financiers...
20 August 2020
Fireside chat on global private equity: challenges and opportunities
Euan Rellie, BDA Co-Founder and Senior Managing Director based in New York,...