Associate position at BDA Tokyo
Role of the Associate
BDA Partners is seeking a highly motivated Associate for its Tokyo office. BDA provides an excellent opportunity to gain an expansive breadth of hands-on experience across sectors focusing on M&A (sellside and buyside) and capital raising.
The prospective candidate will provide project management and execution support on complex transactions and prepare presentation materials to communicate key messages to clients and counterparties. Specific duties will include assistance in the preparation of financial models, valuation analysis, marketing documentation and research.
As well as having a deep understanding of valuation and broad finance, Associates should be able to identify and vet potential buyers from pitch materials and support sector teams in developing various client ready materials.
Successful candidates will support deal teams with a wide variety of tasks around our M&A advisory mandates. In particular, an Associate’s work will typically cover the following:
- Work with clients and participate in the execution of cross-border M&A transactions
- Provide support to senior investment banking professionals to develop marketing leads and ideas to generate new business
- Define and prepare financial and technical analysis for various M&A engagements covering both public and private companies, including buyside, sellside, corporate carve-outs, and cross-border M&A situations
- Assisting senior bankers in process management, e.g. due diligence
- Support negotiations and preparation of key transaction documents including confidentiality agreements, merger agreements, sale leaseback agreements, asset purchase agreements, other ancillary documents and deal marketing materials
- Conduct due diligence and assess seller’s and target’s business plans, growth prospects and financial performance
- Perform valuation analysis and apply diverse methodologies, including comparable company analysis, precedent transaction analysis, leveraged buyout analysis, and discounted cash flow analysis
- Attend and actively participate in meetings with client’s senior team members
- A wide variety of other tasks to support the diverse activities of M&A advisory
Essential (‘Core’) Competencies
- Professional proficiency in English required
- MBA is preferred but not required
- Strong quantitative and accounting skills – Having a deep understanding of valuation and broad finance and should be able to guide and challenge juniors in financial modeling
- Experience working on deals through the entire execution phase. Experience working on cross-border mandates welcomed
- Strong client management skills – ability to earn the trust and respect of client teams such that clients contact him/her first for daily tasks
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong work ethic, a “team player,” organized and high level of attention to detail
- Strong leadership mindset – able to facilitate more effective delivery by working with junior team to improve performance
- Additional foreign language fluency (Mandarin/Cantonese, Korean) welcomed but not required
- Willingness to travel
Interested candidates should submit a brief cover letter and a CV to TokyoRecruit.
All information received will be kept in strict confidence and used only for employment-related purposes. Unfortunately, given the number of applications we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.