20 October 2022
SEA FinTech investment landscape
The FinTech sector in Southeast Asia (SEA) has been flourishing in recent years, with ever-increasing capital flowing into the region from global investors and market leaders. In our latest insight, we take a closer look at the key trends that make SEA an attractive FinTech market, the dynamics within key FinTech verticals, and how we expect financing activity to evolve.
State of the Tech markets
- Global equities are experiencing high volatility and have been roiled over inflation fears, rising geopolitical tensions, and escalating interest rates
- High-growth companies are witnessing the greatest share price declines (>50%) as cash flows far out into the future are discounted harder, amid rate hikes
- While public Tech valuations appear to have plummeted, they have in fact eased down to the 10-year historical baseline
- The pace of private capital deployment may have moderated relative to 2021, but remains vigorous and surpasses that of all preceding years
- All-time high dry powder in 2022 is expected to fuel continued deal velocity
SEA FinTech landscape and exit thoughts
- SEA is one of the most vibrant Tech ecosystems globally with a booming FinTech sector
- Singapore and Indonesia account for two-thirds of SEA FinTech deals
- Payments and lending drive more than half the region’s FinTech deals by value; crypto/web3 companies have been gaining traction among earlier-stage investors amid growing institutional awareness
- Mounting unrealised value at a time when public listings/SPACs have lost their shine as a viable, attractive exit route
- Private financing rounds/M&A are expected to intensify over the longer term as the ecosystem matures and more investors flock to SEA to tap into the region’s growth, talent, and disruptive business models
Download the full report
14 February 2023
China Private Equity Report 2023
China’s private equity (“PE”) industry faced strong headwinds in...
9 January 2023
BDA Partners hosted its 4th Private Equity Conference in Singapore and...
BDA PE Conference: The premier Asian deal networking event for PE investors...
21 December 2022
Exciting times ahead – Healthcare in Vietnam remains high on investors’...
A rapidly expanding middle class with increased health awareness post-pandemic...
20 December 2022
Huong Trinh on VIR: Foreign groups locking eyes on F&B
Huong Trinh, Partner and Head of Ho Chi Minh City at BDA Partners, shares...