21 July 2022
Asian healthcare services: Time to look beyond COVID-19
As an increasing number of countries in Asia achieve an 80% vaccination rate, they are gradually removing COVID-19 social and border restrictions. BDA Partners is revisiting the fundamentals and attractiveness of the Asian healthcare services sector.
Healthcare services is the largest part of the healthcare industry in Asia. Its market size is expected to reach US$1.4tr by 2026, driven by a growing population, rising affluence, and a mounting disease burden.
- Demand for healthcare services in Asia will continue to rise — the segment is growing at a faster pace than the overall healthcare industry, although healthcare infrastructure has been under-invested historically
- Even as governments across Asia increase their budget allocation to healthcare, the private sector continues to play an important role, providing capital and improving the efficiency of the healthcare system
- Financial sponsors have been, and will continue to be, active buyers of quality hospitals and healthcare services assets. Sponsors have been involved in 25% of healthcare services transactions from 2017-2021
- The global dry powder of private equity funds reached a new record of US$1.8tr in February 2022, following a record year of fundraising
- Asian M&A activity in the next two to three years will be strong, driven by consolidation and bolt-on acquisitions by strategics in their core markets, and investments by financial sponsors into both platform and growth companies
In this piece, we examine post-COVID sector trends and M&A activities in SE Asia, Greater China, and India.
Contact BDA health team
Andrew Huntley, Managing Partner, Global Head of Healthcare, London / Ho Chi Minh City: email@example.com
Anthony Siu, Partner, Co-Head of Shanghai: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sanjay Singh, Managing Director, Head of India, Co-Head of Asia Healthcare: email@example.com
Claire Zhen, Director, Shanghai: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aditya Jaju, Vice President, Mumbai: email@example.com
Yan Xia, Vice President, Singapore: firstname.lastname@example.org
Zhang Simeng, Vice President, Shanghai: email@example.com
 Fitch and Statista
11 August 2022
Corporate divestments, PE investments and activist campaigns: a virtuous...
In the last few years, several trends have gained traction in Japan’s...
8 July 2022
Trends in Asian ESG PE investment
There has been a distinct focus on ESG and sustainability in Asian private...
29 April 2022
BDA China Growth Capital Conference 2022
BDA Partners hosted our inaugural China Growth Capital Conference on April...
19 April 2022
Advising clients in Hong Kong since 2000
Since 2020 BDA has successfully advised on nearly 60 transactions, making...