21 July 2022
Asian healthcare services: Time to look beyond COVID-19
As an increasing number of countries in Asia achieve an 80% vaccination rate, they are gradually removing COVID-19 social and border restrictions. BDA Partners is revisiting the fundamentals and attractiveness of the Asian healthcare services sector.
Healthcare services is the largest part of the healthcare industry in Asia. Its market size is expected to reach US$1.4tr by 2026, driven by a growing population, rising affluence, and a mounting disease burden.
- Demand for healthcare services in Asia will continue to rise — the segment is growing at a faster pace than the overall healthcare industry, although healthcare infrastructure has been under-invested historically
- Even as governments across Asia increase their budget allocation to healthcare, the private sector continues to play an important role, providing capital and improving the efficiency of the healthcare system
- Financial sponsors have been, and will continue to be, active buyers of quality hospitals and healthcare services assets. Sponsors have been involved in 25% of healthcare services transactions from 2017-2021
- The global dry powder of private equity funds reached a new record of US$1.8tr in February 2022, following a record year of fundraising
- Asian M&A activity in the next two to three years will be strong, driven by consolidation and bolt-on acquisitions by strategics in their core markets, and investments by financial sponsors into both platform and growth companies
In this piece, we examine post-COVID sector trends and M&A activities in SE Asia, Greater China, and India.
Contact BDA health team
Andrew Huntley, Managing Partner, Global Head of Healthcare, London / Ho Chi Minh City: email@example.com
Anthony Siu, Partner, Co-Head of Shanghai: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sanjay Singh, Managing Director, Head of India, Co-Head of Asia Healthcare: email@example.com
Claire Zhen, Director, Shanghai: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aditya Jaju, Vice President, Mumbai: email@example.com
Yan Xia, Vice President, Singapore: firstname.lastname@example.org
Zhang Simeng, Vice President, Shanghai: email@example.com
 Fitch and Statista
About BDA Partners
BDA Partners is the global investment banking advisor for Asia. We are a premium provider of Asia-related advice to sophisticated clients globally, with over 25 years’ experience advising on cross-border M&A, capital raising, and financial restructuring. We provide global reach with our teams in New York and London, and true regional depth through our seven Asian offices in Mumbai, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, and Tokyo. BDA has deep expertise in the Chemicals, Consumer & Retail, Health, Industrials, Services and Technology sectors. We work relentlessly to earn our clients’ trust by delivering insightful advice and outstanding outcomes.
BDA Partners has strategic partnerships with William Blair, a premier global investment banking business, and with DBJ (Development Bank of Japan), a Japanese Government-owned bank with US$150bn of assets. bdapartners.com
4 July 2023
Turning on the tap for water investment
BDA Partners has significant experience across the water M&A spectrum...
16 June 2023
Market drivers and pitfalls in non-core disposals
In recent years, many companies have re-evaluated the potential of their...
15 June 2023
Where does Chinese money go?
Anthony Siu, Partner and Co-Head of China at BDA Partners, was interviewed...
22 May 2023
Breaking down barriers: The rise of private equity in Vietnam
The private equity (PE) landscape in Vietnam is becoming increasingly attractive...